Learned another car troubleshooting trick today. I now know how to jump start (tulak-start) a car! Yehey!
Here's the steps:
1. Ask help, at least 2 persons to push your car.
2. Put your keys in the ignition, turn it to the "on" state.
3. Put the gear on second shift (?)/ gear (?).
4. Step on the clutch.
5. Push! Then when you feel that there's a momentum, immediately release the clutch. The engine will try to start itself, then before it dies (turns off)..
6. Step on the gas and rev it up so that the alternator and the battery will be charged.. or something like that...
I finally got rid of my laziness and my so called "reasons" and had brought Silver to the autoshop this afternoon. The diagnosis, something in the starter needed to be changed. The alternator and the battery are both in good condition.
I probably would have to thank my brother for deciding to leave Silver to me. Because of this decision, I know how to listen to my car for trouble signs. In the 3 years that I have been driving Silver, I have brought him to the auto shop several times, all by myself. Signs and symptoms of car troubles may vary, I think, from car to car. Below is a list of what I know; car troubles I had.. just wanted to share this with you.
- Overheating? Check radiator water level regularly. This is of course if your car is old, like mine. Nevertheless, check water level regularly.
- 2 weeks ago, I had learned that when there is a wheezing sound in the steering wheel area, check you power steering fluid. You might need to refill it.
- Always check the brake fluid level.
- It's a bit dirty, but you will also need to check the engine fluid/oil. Really dark/dirty oil means that you need to have the oil changed.
- If you feel that your car is wiggling, have the tires' air pressure checked. Just have it checked regularly. Other scenario, have your tires aligned.
Above are routine checks. If you don't want to get your hands dirty or greased, you can always bring your car to the gasoline station and have the service crew check your car. It's free!
- When your car won't start, check the battery, alternator, and starter. Battery is good when your lights, horn, and clock are still working.
- When you step on the brakes and you hear a sound, like a ball hitting the underside, bring to the auto shop and have the brake shoe (in the back tires) checked.
- When you are stepping on the gas, and you feel that your car does not accelerate its speed, and you feel that your speed is slower than a snail's speed, you might want to check on the clutch lining.
- When you hear a loud noise outside and all of a sudden it is hard to turn the steering wheel, you have a flat tire! Change your tires. (I once had a flat tire and I didn't know it. Thank God I didn't have an accident at that time. The apartment's caretaker pointed out to me when I stepped out of the car that I had a flat tire. He changed the tire for me. I don't know how to change a flat tire, though.)
- When out of nowhere, you hear your car horn blaring, even if the car is already off, have the wires checked. It might be a short circuit. Temporary solution, leave your key in the ignition, lock your doors! You don't want this to happen to you. Trust me! Oh yeah, never leave without your spare key.
Remember, when you hear something odd in your car and you feel that it has to do with either your engine or tires, don't hesitate to bring your car to your trusted auto shop immediately. Better safe than being in an accident.
Drive safely! 
No comments:
Post a Comment